One month down...

I have been back in Nicaragua for one month already. School has been going well. It is going so much better than this time last year. The kids are excited about my class and have had really good behavior! I am so thankful to be able to teach a lot of the same kids I had last year. It is great to continue those relationships with students and see their progress. Many of them will soon be leaving me...their English is continually improving and they will soon be graduating from the ESL program. It's a bittersweet feeling, but I'm very proud of them. I have a very busy schedule this year. I don't have alot of planning time, and I am tutoring and teaching English after school as well. I feel like I'm giving and teaching all day, without much of a break, and by the end of the day I'm sick of hearing myself talk and I'm sick of English!! I'm asking God to give me joy and energy to be able to give to these children.

I am teaching English at the Villa Esperanza two days a week to girls ages 10 to 13. These girls have been rescued from the dump and live at the home and go to school. There are 8 girls that live in each of the casitas and each house has its own Nicaraguan house mom. Each house has its own kitchen and the girls eat their meals together with their house mom. I have been really blessed by these girls. They are excited to learn English and I'm thankful to be a part of their lives in some way.

I have also been able to visit the children in El Crucero at the children's home. It's great to see them doing well and growing every day. They really are precious.

I'm living in a new house this year. The family that lives in this house is in the States on furlough for a year, so my roommate and I get to enjoy the house. It's nice and big...in a nice gated, neighborhood. We have a lime tree and a papaya tree in the front yard. There is also an avocado tree just a little way down the street. We are allowed to pick and eat the fruit off any tree here. It's really nice!

Here are a few pics of my time here so far...


The lime tree in my front yard!

My 1st graders. They are excited about learning English!

Michael and Julie - My 4th graders. Michael was a brand new English speaker last year...he has come such a long way!

Me with a few of my 2nd graders


My beautiful girls at the Villa...They are great


The little ones eating breakfast at the home in El Crucero


This is Ruby. She is 13 and lives at the home in El Crucero.

I have had a busy but good time so far this year in Nicaragua. I have so many more pictures to show, but they will have to wait.

Love,
Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Last Post Before Christmas

I Climbed a Mountain!

Greetings from Nicaragua!